It’s Fall and we’re stocking up on cold weather supplies for The Van! If you want to participate, be sure to read #’s 3 & 4 below, and check out the list here in the right-hand column (if you’re using a mobile device, it might appear below “Things most people don’t know).
We will ALWAYS take donations - year round - but occasionally we draw more attention to what is needed. Thanks for your willingness to help!
6 Ways YOU Can Help The Van:
1. Go to their website (TheOneInc.org) and find out more about what they do. Then educate yourself on the topic of homelessness... follow the Arkansas Homeless Coalition & consider attending their monthly meetings, listen to Unsheltered Arkansas at KABF 88.3 on Mondays from 5-7:00 p.m. or subscribe to their podcast Or, speak to Emily (PA Trading Co owner) and let her fill you in - 501-580-0298. Then spread the word about their work.
2. Donate money. They make it count!! You can even set up a monthly reoccurring donation on their site.
3. Donate supplies (see list on this page) to any of the Zips Car Wash locations, or at our sales. If you're dropping it by a sale of ours, pull into the driveway & tell one of our Crew that you have something for The Van. They'll unload it for you!
3. Volunteer!!! This is one hell of a group of people... seriously, they make stuff happen and they utilize ALL of their resources. But, they need more folks to commit to helping. Contact them and tell them what you have to offer (skills, time, etc.). You'll change lives & even save some!
4. If you're shopping at one of our sales, and see one of the needed items listed on this page, you can buy it for The Van & donate it on the spot. If you do that, we will discount that item by whatever our commission is at that sale ... in other words, we won't take a commission on those items. Just tell the checkout person that's what you're wanting to do.
5. Shop their wish list on Amazon! It can be shipped straight to their warehouse. It's as easy as it gets! Also, go to amazonsmile.com and start shopping Amazon through that alternate entry whenever you buy something on Amazon so that a percentage of your purchase goes to a charitable cause of your choice - The Van is listed as their parent non-profit, “The One, Inc.” Choose them and effortlessly support them while you shop!
6. Go to events that benefit The Van! There are lots of fun things held year-round to help keep The Van going. Christmas Karaoke, live music events, crawfish boils, races, roller derby ... LOTS of fun stuff!! Follow them on Facebook to stay in the know.
Things most people don't now...
HUD did a census in January of 2017 that confirmed, more than 550 individuals are unsheltered in the Little Rock Metro after every shelter bed is full. The Van (part of The One Inc.) GOES TO these individuals and does their best to supply them with the items listed on this page, along with fresh eggs & vegetables from The Field, occasional showers in their shower trailer, and more.
One of the biggest needs of our neighbors on the street, is a safe place to set up camp (or park their car). The Van, along with other homeless advocacy groups, believe that the BEST way to help these folks help themselves is to remove the pressure of not having a set place to stay while they focus on finding a job and saving up for an apartment. If you or someone you know has 5ish acres in the Little Rock Metro and would like to talk to someone about donating, selling, or just allowing the use of that space, PLEASE contact The Van, or the Arkansas Homeless Coalition.
Also, we need places to hold emergency shelters during extreme cold nights. In the past, The Van has worked with a couple of churches who allow unsheltered individuals to hang out in their spaces during nighttime lows. Volunteers are there to help, and The Van offers transportation to as many people as possible. We need more locations, though! If you can help, please contact The Van for more information.
If you have fallen trees, or big limbs, The Van wants them. They have a log splitter & they deliver firewood to the folks living out in hidden camps. The only challenge is, they need you to get the felled tree to their warehouse off of Faulkner Lake Rd. If you can do that, please reach out to them!
The "Anytime" List:
toiletries (razors/shaving cream, toothbrush/paste, deodorant, soap, shampoo, combs/brushes, lotion, chapstick, etc.)
big heavy duty trash bags
women’s hygiene items
sneakers (m’s & w’s - all sizes)
boots (m’s & w’s - all sizes)
socks (new m’s & w’s - all sizes - they like black a lot)
underwear (NEW ONLY m’s & w’s - all sizes)
bras (new or LIGHTLY used)
batteries (all sizes)
twin sheet sets
towels (bath, hand & washcloth)
backpacks & reusable shopping totes
tarps (brown or green preferred over blue, but will take any & all)
anything camping related
masking & duct tape
canned goods with pop-top lids and other non-perishable foods
The Cold Weather List:
blankets big enough cover a person
warm coats & jackets
beanie caps/toboggans (warm hat)
sweatshirts - especially hoodies!!
jeans (m’s & w’s all sizes)
emergency blankets (reflective type)
hand & foot warmers
The Warm Weather List:
shorts with pockets